- 04/29/15 – Springtime seems to bring out the scammers! Terri Worman, Director of Consumer Outreach at AARP IL, shared the red flag of home repair fraud.
- 04/22/15 – April is financial literacy month and Tanya Solov, Director of the Illinois Securities Department, talked about investment fraud.
- 04/15/15 – April 15th… the dreaded deadline for filing taxes. Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago IRS office talks about the lengthy prison sentences criminals are getting for tax fraud schemes, and how to protect yourself from being a victim of those schemes.
- 04/08/15 – How many Social Security numbers have been issued since its inception? Social Security Administration Public Affairs Specialist Andrew Salata shares some interesting facts about Social Security numbers and how to keep those numbers protected.
- 04/01/15 – Postal Inspector/Team Leader Juan Vargas discussed the investigation, arrest and conviction of the men who were charged in the 2010 murder of a South Florida postal carrier.
- 03/25/15 – Law enforcement has a responsibility to victims of a crime and General Analyst/Victim Witness Coordinator Jackie Buckley of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service discussed victim’s rights.
- 03/18/15 – Protect your pet and your wallet from scammers. We discussed five different types of pet scams that are on the rise.
- 03/11/15 – Terri Worman, Associate Director of Advocacy & Outreach AARP IL and host Julie Kenney played a “Scam Quiz”, which was posted on AARP's website, and shared our answers. We discussed Identity Theft and fraud targeting the elderly.
- 03/04/15 – Today's guest was Elizabeth, a victim of a Grandparent Scam. Elizabeth shared the story of how she was swindled out of $4,500, which she loaded on prepaid debit cards, in hopes of getting her granddaughter out of jail. It was a very powerful and sad story.
- 02/25/15 – Our guest today was IRS Special Agent/PIO Kerry Lynn Hannigan of the Criminal Investigations Unit of the Chicago Field Office. Agent Hannigan discussed the lengthy sentences criminals have received in tax fraud investigations and she shared tips on how consumers can protect themselves from tax scams.
- 02/18/15 – Protect yourself from healthcare fraud. Today's guest was Jason Echols, Healthcare Consumer Protection Coordinator for Age Options, a non-profit organization connecting older adults with options for living well. Jason shared the red flags of healthcare fraud.
- 02/11/15 – Detective Mark Solomon works in the Criminal Investigation Division and Financial Crimes Task Force of the Greenwich, Connecticut Police Department and he shared tips on ways consumers can protect themselves from ATM skimming and counterfeit credit cards.
- 02/04/15 – Financial professional Heather Wagenhal discusses today’s most popular scams. Hosts Mike and Julie give a big shout out to the Postal Inspectors who investigated a tax scam, in which the suspect received a 21 year federal prison sentence.
- 01/28/15 – Postal Inspector Ken Pflanz discussed a $10 million Mortgage Fraud Scheme, in which he was the case Inspector. Today was Postal Inspector Bill Nichols’ last day as radio show host, as he officially retires from the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.
- 01/14/15 – Today's guest was Royal Canadian Mounted Police Corporal Alain Benjamin, who is also a member of the special task force, Centre of Operations Linked to Telemarketing Fraud (COLT). Corporal Benjamin discussed “boiler rooms” and the Yellow Pages Scam.
- 01/07/15 – The United States Postal Service offers new and exciting changes and Retail Manager Deana Carr is here to discuss the changes. Manager Carr also warns consumers about a fraudulent email scam that looks as if it originates from the Postal Service, when it absolutely does not.
- 12/31/14 – Senior Fraud Analyst Garry Erickson discusses new fraud trends in foreign scams, along with the successful prosecutions of foreign scammers.
- 12/17/14 – The holiday season is here and consumers are usually more inclined to give to charities this time of year. Listen as Terri Worman, AARP IL Associate State Director Advocacy & Outreach, shares the reds flags of a charity scam
- 12/10/14 – The Secret Service does more than just protect the president of the United States. Derrick Golden, Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago Field Office Secret Service talks about counterfeit money and how you can tell if the bill you have in your hands is fake.
- 12/03/14 – It is sad when a 92 year old grandfather is scammed while thinking he was helping his grandchild. Today’s guest was the son of a victim of this scam. He talks about his family’s ordeal after his father sent $2,400 in the mail to a scammer.
- 11/19/14 – Will County Illinois Assistant State’s Attorney Dant Foulk joined us to discuss money laundering and other financial crimes.
- 11/12/14 – Fraud prevention is a top priority of the Postal Inspection Service and of the Better Business Bureau (BBB). President/CEO of the Chicagoland and Northern IL BBB Steve Bernas joined us to talk about Military Fraud / Charity Schemes.
- 10/22/14 – What is the U.S. Postal Inspection Service doing to protect mail, customers, employees, and infrastructure? Tune in to hear Postal Inspector in Charge of the Chicago Division, Tony Gómez, talk about we are doing as an agency to protect the people who move and use the mail.
- 10/15/14 – Today's guest was Sam Gutten, Director of Fraud Prevention at GameFly, which is a subscription game business. Sam shared tips on the things our cell phones can do and protecting data on our phones.
- 10/08/14 – October is Cyber Security Awareness Month. Today's guests were Jonathan Spruill, former Special Agent of the U.S. Secret Service, who is currently working as a Senior Security Contractor at Trustwave and Media Relations Manager for Trustwave, Abby Ross. They shared great information on how to protect yourself from scammers while on the computer.
- 10/01/14 – Protect yourself from Identity Theft by listening to what Becky Frost, Senior Manager of Consumer Education with Experian Credit Services has to say about Data Breaches.
- 09/24/14 – What constitutes dangerous mail? Listen to our show and hear Postal Inspector Kelly Gates as she discusses what items are considered dangerous and prohibited mail. Inspector Gates also discusses highlights from her Postal Inspection career.
- 09/17/14 – Beware of calls from phony IRS agents demanding money. It’s a scam! Today's guest was IRS Special Agent Kerry Lynn Hannigan, PIO/Criminal Investigations Unit, and Agent Hannigan shared the lengthy prison sentences some criminals received for their money laundering, tax evasion and narcotic crimes.
- 09/10/14 – Victims’ stories make the biggest impact. Today's guest was Scott Bond, the son a foreign lottery scam victim. Scott talked about his family’s ordeal after losing over $80,000 to a scammer.
- 09/03/14 – Protect yourself from becoming a computer hacker victim. Listen as today’s guest, Certified Ethical Hacker Bruce Anderson, discusses the Foreign Hackers that have infiltrated our financial system and hacked into more than 400,000 computers.
- 08/27/14 – Retired Postal Inspector Dave Kepchar, who is currently a Fraud Contractor for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, was our guest today. Dave discussed Data Brokers and how consumers can keep their personal information safe while surfing the internet.
- 08/13/14 – Not only can you lose your life savings to a scammer but you can also lose your life! Senior Intelligence Analyst Garry Erickson, a retired United States Postal Inspector, informs us that now scammers are asking their victims for face-to-face meetings. Don’t do it….it’s very dangerous!
- 08/06/14 – Today’s guest was Chicago’s Business Affairs/Consumer Protection Commissioner Maria Guerra Lapacek and we discussed taxi cab fraud and other consumer fraud related issues.
- 07/30/14 – No show
- 07/23/14 – Aurora, IL Police Detective Jason Cudebec joined us and we discussed White Collar crimes in the suburbs.
- 07/16/14 – Today’s guest was Holly Zielke, National Regional Coordinator with the Illinois Department on Aging and we discussed Elder Abuse.
- 07/09/14 – Identity Theft and vacations just don’t mix. Today’s guest was Paul Oster, author and self- proclaimed credit repair specialist and he shared tips on how to stay safe from ID theft while traveling.
- 07/02/14 – Detective Sergeant, Jim Henley from the Cook County Sheriff's Office, Financial Crimes Unit discussed telemarketing scams that are targeting local residents. Consumers are receiving threatening phone calls and are being told that they will go to jail if they don’t pay up.
- 06/25/14 – Today’s guest was Satnam Narang, Security Response Expert with Symantec and we discussed various ways you can protect yourself from getting a computer virus on your computer.
- 06/18/14 – Today's guest was Jim Chilsen, Director of Communications for the Citizen's Utility Board (CUB). We discussed utility scams, particularly electric companies who switch consumer's services without authorization and then charge extremely high rates.
- 06/04/14 – Retired Chicago Division Assistant Inspector in Charge Dave Colen, who is currently the Global Security Manager for Walgreens, was our guest and we discussed Green Dot Card Fraud. Dave Colen was one of the creators of the Don't Fall for It show so he spoke of how the show has evolved over the past five years.
- 05/28/14 – We spoke with tax lawyer and financial expert, Sandy Botkin, and he offered tips on how to reduce college costs and ways to protect yourself from becoming a victim of a scholarship scam.
- 05/14/14 – Computer viruses and internet scams are extensive. Today's guest was Postal Inspector Ken Welniak and we discussed ways to protect yourself from computer viruses.
- 05/07/14 – Today's guest was James Grogan, Deputy Administrator and Chief Counsel of the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court. We discussed attorney misconduct cases in Illinois, some of which financially exploited their clients.
- 04/30/14 – Learn the red flags of an investment scam when Tanya Solov, Director of Illinois Securities joins us on the Don’t Fall For It show. Tanya also explained the digital currency, Bitcoin.
- 04/23/14 – Today's guest was Police Social Worker Michael Hoffman, from the Naperville, IL Police Department. Mr. Hoffman discussed victim assistance opportunities when they have been exploited financially by scammers or family members.
- 04/16/14 – Today's guest was Manny Flores, Secretary of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) and we discussed mortgage rescue fraud scheme investigations.
- 04/09/14 – You still believe you won that million dollar foreign lottery prize? Listen to Postal Inspector Natalie Reda, who works parallel cross-border fraud investigations with Alberta, Canada, as she discusses how some consumers are still falling for the scam.
- 04/02/14 – Lisa Misevicz, Public Affairs Specialist with the Chicago Field Office Food & Drug Administration was our guest today and she discussed fake and misbranded prescriptions entering into the United States.
- 03/26/14 – Tune in to hear the voice of narrator and actor Stacy Keach. Mr. Keach spoke with us today about his role in the movie Nebraska; which tells a story of a man who fell for a Sweepstakes scam. Mr. Keach narrates the American Greed television crime show, which features many U.S. Postal Inspection Service investigations.
- 03/19/14 – Tax season is here and today's guest was Jarrod Koopman, Assistant Special Agent in Charge IRS Chicago Field Office. Agent Koopman discussed recent tax scams and gave tips for consumers on how to keep safe from becoming a victim of income tax fraud or identity theft.
- 03/05/14 – This week is National Consumer Protection Week and our goal is to warn consumers about fake Sweepstakes and Foreign Lottery Fraud. Mike Lang, Public Information Officer with the Illinois State Lottery discussed various lottery scams and gave tips on how to keep from becoming a victim of one of these scams.
- 02/26/14 – Judge Dave Kliment, Associate Judge for the Sixteenth Circuit in Kane County was the guest and we discussed his transition from Defense Attorney to Judge. The Honorable Kliment also discussed consumer fraud cases which he oversaw and shared tips on how consumers can prevent becoming a victim of a crime.
- 02/19/14 – Today's guest was Chicago Division's Homeland Security Postal Inspector Phil Denne and the topic of the show was mailroom security and the programs that the Postal Inspection Service has in place to protect it's mail, customers, employees and infrastructure.
- 02/12/14 – In conjunction with the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday, today's guest was Donna Andersen, a celebrated author and speaker on Romance Scams. Ms. Andersen was scammed by a con-man in a romance scam and she shared the red flags of the scam, in hopes of saving someone else from being scammed.
- 02/05/14 – Today's guest was Tom Shaer, Director of Communications with the Illinois Department of Corrections. The IL prison system was discussed, as well as the average sentence for criminals who commit fraud offenses.
- 01/29/14 – The guest today was Jim Heim, a board member of the Chicago Memorial Association, and we discussed funeral fraud and how you can have an affordable funeral while still keeping it dignified.
- 01/22/14 – Today's guest was Retired Naperville, IL Police Detective Don Bisch, whose lengthy career focused on Financial Crimes Investigations. We discussed this growing crime, particularly in the suburbs.
- 01/15/14 – Postal Inspector Adam Latham discussed a Timeshare Fraud Scheme in which he investigated, and the defendant was convicted and sentenced to 14 years in federal prison and for her role in the scheme. She was also ordered to pay over $900,000 in restitution to her victims.
- 01/08/14 – First live show of 2014 so we discussed the Top Scams of 2013 with today's guest, Todd Kossow, Assistant Director of the Federal Trade Commission Midwest Region.
- 12/11/13 – Team Leader/Postal Inspector Bill Nichols was our guest today and he discussed the Emergency Response Team of the Postal Inspection Service.
- 12/04/13 – Postal Inspector Jerry Phillips discussed a program, the Carrier Protection Program, in which the Chicago Division Postal Inspection Service initiated to assist with safety and security of Postal Carriers.
- 11/27/13 – Today's guest was Miranda Perry, a staff writer at Scambook.com. To prepare our listeners for the busy shopping days ahead, Miranda discussed scams associated with Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- 11/20/13 – Special Agent Andrew Boockmeir, Social Security Administration/Office of the Inspector General discussed fraud committed against the Social Security Administration. Agent Boockmeir warned consumers about the hazards of giving out personal information over the telephone and in emails.
- 11/06/13 – Celebrated author and radio show host of "Unlock Your Wealth" Heather Wagenhalls, discussed various investment scams and shared tips on how to keep your money in your wallet longer.
- 10/30/13 – When you’ve been victimized in a fraud scheme involving the U.S. Mail, report it to the United States Postal Inspection Service. Criminal Investigations Service Center Operations Technician Kevin Collins discussed the fraud reporting process.
- 10/23/13 – Today's guest was Gina King, Client Relations Manager at Identity Theft 911. Gina discussed what can be done once you realize you are a victim of Identity Theft, and how to prevent it from happening again.
- 10/16/13 – Today's guest was Bob Moberley, Senior Forensic Chemist with the USPIS Forensic laboratory, and he discussed how physical evidence and crime scenes are analyzed. Bob recalled the Bishop Bomber case and how his team helped convict John Tomkins with the overwhelming evidence collected.
- 10/09/13 – The guest today was Postal Inspector Suzanne Rossman and we discussed Child Exploitation. Inspector Rossman shared great tips for parents on ways they can keep their children safe from child predators while on the internet.
- 10/02/13 – College students are targeted in Identity Theft and we spoke with Steve Bernas, President/CEO of the Chicago and Northern IL Better Business Bureau about the ways students can protect themselves from becoming a victim.
- 09/25/13 – Foreign Lottery Fraud is still going strong in this country and Steve Baker, Midwest Director for the Federal Trade Commission was our guest today to discuss the dangers of this scam.
- 09/18/13 – Today's guest was IRS Special Agent Kerry Lynn Hannigan, Criminal Investigations Chicago Field Office. Agent Hannigan discussed criminal cases that have been prosecuted in the Chicago area and the lengthy sentences the criminals received. We also discussed Identity Theft and the IRS.
- 09/11/13 – How to know if you are being scammed when you have your car repaired? Listen to the Don't Fall For It show today and ASE- Certified Automotive Technician Pam Oakes shares the red flags of car repair scams.
- 09/04/13 – Postal Inspector Mike Carroll interviewed international best-selling author Will Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson wrote a novel called 419 and it is a story about a family whose lives were severely affected by a Nigerian Scam.
- 08/29/13 – Beware of health fraud scams, especially fake diabetes treatment scams that have been circulating. The guest today is Lisa Misevicz, Public Affairs Specialist with the Food and Drug Administration and Lisa shared important tips on hot to spot a health fraud scam.
- 08/21/13 – Jason Echols, MSW, Healthcare Consumer Protection Coordinator for Age Options, joined us today to talk about Medicare Fraud, particularly fraud associated with the upcoming Affordable Care Act. This is a must listen to show!
- 08/14/13 – The largest Division in the U. S. Postal Inspection Service, the Chicago Division, has a new Inspector In Charge, Tony Gomez. Inspector in Charge Gomez talked about his lengthy career as a Postal Inspector and some of the high profile cases that he worked in Miami, Florida.
- 08/07/13 – Chris Allen is the Vice President of the Special Investigations Unit of Fifth Third Bank. Chris was our guest today and he shared important information on how to keep safe from financial crimes, particularly skimming.
- 07/31/13 – Jim Chilsen, Director of Communications for the Citizens Utility Board (CUB) shared tips on how to save money on utility bills. Jim also warned consumers about fake utility workers trying to get into your home.
- 07/24/13 – We all dream that the Prize Patrol will one day arrive at our house with the "big check". Margaret Crossan, Director of Consumer Affairs for Publishers Clearing House helps to keep us safe from fraudsters impersonating Publishers Clearing House, by sharing the red flags of these recent scams.
- 07/17/13 – Postal Inspector Mike O'Connor was our guest today and he reminded us to be aware of any suspicious mail that we may receive.
- 07/10/13 – Derrick Golden, Assistant to the Special Agent in Charge Secret Service, discussed his duties within the agency. Special Agent Golden also talked about counterfeit money and checks.
- 07/03/13 – Today on our show we had a victim of a purse theft, which then led to Identity Theft. Listen to our victim tell her story on what it took to clean up her credit and her good name.
- 06/26/13 – Victims make the biggest impact on our listeners. Michelle shared her story the unbelievable damage that a foreign lottery scam did to her family. They went to desperate measures to keep the scammer away from her mother.
- 06/19/13 – Summers coming and so are the home repair scams! Postal Inspector Silvia Carrier was the guest today and she talked about the convictions and sentencing for the Sullivan brothers, who financially and emotionally ruined people's lives. Most of their scams began as home repair/remodeling fraud.
- 06/12/13 – Today's guest was Chicago Police Sergeant John Lucki and the topic was how consumers can keep safe from Financial Crimes.
- 06/05/13 – Orland Park, IL Police Chief Timothy McCarthy joined us today to discuss the fraud prevention efforts of the Orland Park police force and the partnerships that they have with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. Chief McCarthy also discussed his illustrious career and the moment that he took a bullet for President Ronald Reagan.
- 05/29/13 – Today's topic was timeshare fraud and we discussed a multi-million dollar timeshare fraud scheme with guest Springfield, IL Postal Inspector Basil Demczak. The Southern District of Illinois leads the nation in prosecuting these types of telemarketing scams.
- 05/22/13 – We're back!!!! New host of the Don't Fall For It show, Postal Inspector Mike Carroll, interviewed Chicago Division Inspector in Charge Pete Zegarac regarding resources within the Postal Inspection Service. Mike also interviewed Postal Inspector Phil Steele regarding the "Bishop Bomber" sentencing.
- 02/06/13 – Today's guest
was Rod Griffin, Director of Public Education for Experian, the global credit bureau. We discussed the basics of credit reporting and how to protect yourself from getting
- 01/30/13 – Billions of
dollars is lost every year to Medicare Fraud. Jason Echols, MSW, Healthcare Consumer Protection Coordinator for Age Options joined us today to discuss Medicare Fraud.
Jason coordinates the statewide Illinois Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) Program.
- 01/23/13 – Today's guest
was Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez and the topic was Identity Theft and what Cook County is doing to keep consumers safe from scammers. Cook County is the
second most populous county in America.
- 01/16/13 – Our guest
today was Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White and we discussed the new driving laws and the Organ Donor Program. Inspector Tom Brady talked about a heartbreaking
"Grandparent Scam", in which a local family was scammed out of $109,000.
- 01/09/13 – Author and
journalist Jon Yates was our guest today. Jon is the creator of the "What's Your Problem?" column in the Chicago Tribune. Jon also wrote a book called "What's Your
Problem?". Jon shared some great consumer tips about gift cards.
- 01/02/13 – Dr. Doug Shapel,
State Director for AARP was the guest today for a very interesting show. Dr. Shapel discussed how age affects the brain and why the elderly are so easily deceived. Dr.
Shapel also talked about an article he wrote "Confessions of a Conman".
- 12/26/12 – Fraud Analyst
Garry Erickson joined us today to discuss Foreign Lottery Scams. Lottery scams are on the rise and people need to warn others, especially the elderly and people who care
for them, about this devastating scam.
- 12/19/12 – The guest today
was Donna Andersen, author and journalist. Her website lovefraud.com teaches people how to recognize and recover from a romance scam. Donna knows firsthand, because she
lost $240,000 to a scammer throughout their 2 year marriage. Her remarkable story was made into a Lifetime Movie and she shared her story with us today.
- 12/12/12 – U.S. Postal
Service Manager Shipping & Mailing Solutions Patricia Bridges and Manager of Retail Deana Carr joined us to discuss a post office scam that has been targeting consumers.
They also shared exciting shipping solutions for the upcoming holiday season. Football legend Don Beebe also joined the show to discuss his illustrious career and his new
book that was recently released.
- 12/05/12 – Today's guest was
Donna Rockin, Director for the Small Business Development Center/Duman Entrepreneurship Center at the JVS Center. Today's topic was Credit Repair Scams. We also had Phil
Curtis, Senior Gift Advisor for the Salvation Army on our show and he discussed the Red Kettle program.
- 11/28/12 – Today's guest was
Jakki Krage-Strako, Vice President of Area Operations for the Postal Service Great Lakes Area. We discussed some of the challenges that the US Postal Service is facing and
how the Postal Service is moving forward.
- 11/21/12 – Today's guest was
Steve Bernas, President and CEO of the Chicago and Northern IL Better Business Bureau. The fraud topic for today was charity scams. We also discussed the upcoming shopping
season, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and ways consumers can stay safe while shopping.
- 11/14/12 – Today's
guest was NBC 5 Investigative reporter Phil Rogers, and the topic was Skimming. We also discussed the relationship that the media has with law enforcement.
- 11/07/12 – Lisa
Misevicz, Public Affairs Specialist with the Food and Drug Administration was our guest today and we discussed Deceptive Marketing of products.
- 10/31/12 – The
guest today was Tanya Solov, Director for the Illinois Securities Department. We discussed Investment Frauds, particularly Crowdfunding. Crowdfunding is fairly
new and somewhat encompasses "donations' and investments made in small doses on the internet to a large group of people.
- 10/24/12 – The
guest today was Bill Hamel, Assistant Inspector General for Investigations with the U.S. Department of Education. We discussed public corruption involving public
education, officials and programs and what people can do if they suspect fraud.
- 10/17/12 – David
Williams, Cook County (IL) Assistant State's Attorney and Executive Director of the Cook County State's Attorney's Office of Regional Organized Crime was the
guest. We discussed organized Retail Theft and the impact it has on retailers and consumers.
- 10/10/12 – Today's
guest was Will County (IL) States Attorney James Glasgow and we discussed some of Mr. Glasgow's recent high-profile criminal cases that he recently prosecuted.
- 09/19/12 – Assistant
Inspector in Charge of the Houston Division, Tripp Brinkley was our guest today and he shared a lot of interesting U.S. Postal Inspection Service history with us.
- 09/12/12 – Sergeant
Philip Cappitelli, Chicago Major Auto Theft Investigations with the Chicago Police Department was our guest today and we discussed auto cloning and auto retagging.
Auto theft is on the rise and Sergeant Cappitelli talked about how you can protect yourself.
- 09/05/12 – Patrick
Rehkamp, Senior Investigator for the Better Government
Association (BGA). The BGA is committed to ensuring that
public resources are spent for the public good and not
for political gain or private use. Patrick discussed some
cases the BGA has been working and how consumers are effected.
- 08/29/12 – Today's'
guest was Pat Perez, Kane County Sheriff. Sheriff Perez
discussed Grandparent Scams, also known as Friend in Need
Scams or Emergency Scams. Always verify an emergency before
you ever send any cash.
- 08/22/12 – Today's
guest was James Kruger, Oak Brook, IL Chief of Police and
today's topic was Credit Card fraud. Chief Kruger reminded
woman to be more secure with their purses and do not let
people distract you while shopping or eating, only to have
your wallet stolen right out of your purse.
- 08/15/12 – Catherine
Linaweaver, Warden of the Federal Bureau of Corrections
in Chicago, IL discussed the prisoner re-entry program
and how the community benefits from the program as well
as the prisoner.
- 08/08/12 – Stephanie
Zimmermann was the guest host today and she interviewed
Robin Fields, Investigative Reporter from Propublica. Our
topic was healthcare fraud, particularly in kidney dialysis
clinics and payoffs that doctors receive from pharmaceutical
- 08/01/12 – Today's
guest was C. Hunter Wiggins, Deputy Chief for Enforcement
Strategy at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which
is located in Washington DC. Hunter shared some great information
about credit card add-on fees and reminded us to verify
monthly statements and question anything that looks suspicious.
- 07/25/12 – Citizens
Utility Board (CUB), Director of Communications Jim Chilsen
was our guest today and Jim gave us great tips on lowering
our cell phone bills. Jim also reminded us to thoroughly
read our monthly statements to determine if we are being
paying for more service than we really need.
- 07/18/12 – The
Federal Trade Commission Midwest Regional Director Steve
Baker was our guest today and Steve warned consumers about
the dangers of on-line dating scams.
- 07/11/12 – Assistant
Director of the Office of Financial Protection for Older
Americans, Hubert (Skip) H. Humphrey, III joined us today
to discuss reverse mortgages and World Elder Abuse Awareness
Day. Skip informed elderly consumers that they need to
investigate reverse mortgages before jumping into one.
- 06/27/12 – Today's'
guest was Shelley Bernhardt, Consumer Protection Expert
for Western Union. Shelley shared with us ways consumers
can protect themselves against scams involving wire transfers
and how Western Union educates their employees on the tell
tale signs that a consumer is being victimized by a scam.
- 06/13/12 – Third
Anniversary Show with special guest Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky.
- 06/06/12 – What
does John Tomkins (aka The Bishop), Former Governor Rod Blagojevich and Tony Rezko
all have in common? Their convictions and sentencing were all reported upon by Sun
Times Federal Courts Reporter Natasha Korecki, who was our guest today. We discussed
with Natasha some of her recent high profile cases and talked about the relationship
they had with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.
- 05/30/12 – Today's
guest was Lisa Misevicz, Public Affairs Specialist for the Food and Drug Administration
(FDA) and today's topic was health fraud scams and how they can do your body more harm
- 05/23/12 – Today's
guest was Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan. Inspector Brady and General Madigan
discussed "Skimming" of credit/debit cards. General Madigan reminds us to always verify
charges on our monthly statements.
- 05/16/12 – Susan
Grant, Director of Consumer Protection from the Consumer Federation of America joined
us today and discussed Money Pak scams and scams involving prepaid cards.
- 05/02/12 – Today's
guest is Holly Zielke, Northern Region Coordinator of the Illinois Department of Aging,
Elder Abuse and Neglect Program and we will discuss Senior Elder Abuse, particularly
Financial Elder Abuse.
- 04/25/12 – Sun
Times Columnist, "The Fixer" Stephanie Zimmermann joined us and shared with us how
to be your own Fixer. Stephanie also discussed problems that can arise when buying
a used car.
- 04/18/12 – We
had a real live victim of a foreign lottery scam join us to talk about his family's
heartbreaking story. His family was mercilessly victimized out of $750,000 to scammers
of a foreign lottery. Remember...In a Foreign Lottery, you ALWAYS lose.
- 04/11/12 – Today's
guest is Jim Chilsen, Director of Communications for the Citizens Utility Board
(CUB). Jim discussed ways to be a smarter consumer. Jim also talked about erroneous
charges on utility bills.
- 03/21/12 – Al
Patton, Special Agent In Charge, IRS Criminal Investigations Division joined us
today to talk about Income Tax Scams and ways consumers can protect themselves
during Income Tax Season.
- 03/14/12 – Today's
guest is Gary Hartwig, Special Agent in Charge, Immigration and Customs Enforcement
and Homeland Security Investigations. We will be discussing counterfeit merchandise
and the dangers involved for consumers and the economy.
- 03/07/12 – In a
Foreign Lottery, more than just the odds are against you. It is National Consumer
Protection Week and we are warning consumers to be aware of the most common fraud
out there: Foreign Lottery Scams. We had two presidents on our show today: Mike
Gordon, President of the Chicago Wolves Hockey Team and Steve Bernas, President of
the Chicago and Northern Illinois Better Business Bureau (BBB). We discussed our
partnerships with the Chicago Wolves and the BBB. Visit
view DVDs on various types of fraud.
- 02/29/12 – Ryan
Gruenenfelder, State Associate Director of Advocacy and Outreach for AARP joined
us today and we discussed financial exploitation of the elderly.
- 02/22/12 – Will
County Treasurer, Steve Weber, was our guest today. We discussed property tax fraud.
Also, how solid is your bank? Listen to our show today and discover ways to check
on your bank solvency.
- 02/15/12 – We
interviewed Erin Weir, Healthcare Consumer Protection Coordinator at Age Options.
Erin educates consumers about health care fraud. Out topic today was Medicare and
- 02/08/12 – Best of
Show: Prior interviews with Sgt Philip Cappitelli and Steve Baker interviewed.
- 02/01/12 – Steve
Baker- Director of the Midwest Region of the Federal Trade Commission joined us
today to discuss Grandparent Scams. Be aware of scams from "People in Need",
requesting money. They typically want you to wire money to them.
- 01/25/12 – Today's
guest is writer/blogger Carrie Kirby, who specializes in living frugally. The topic
today is Coupon Fraud.
- 01/18/12 – Our
guest today was Sgt. Philip Cappitelli, from the Chicago Police Department. Sgt.
Cappitelli heads the Financial Crimes Unit and he shared his expertise about Social
Networking Scams. A victim that Sgt Cappitelli worked with called into our show and
talked candidly about her experience of getting scammed out of thousands of dollars
by her "sweetheart" that she met on the internet.
- 01/11/12 – "Best
of" the Don't Fall For It show. We shared highlights from our last few shows.
- 01/04/12 – We
had two guests on our today: Jon Yates, columnist for the Chicago Tribune and Pam
Zekman, investigative reporter for Channel 2 News. Jon shared with us ways to be
a good consumer. We also discussed his new book "What's Your Problem?" Pam Zekman
also joined us today and we discussed Work-at-Home scams.
- 12/28/11 – Our
guest today was James Grogan, the Chief Counsel for the Administrator of the
Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Illinois Supreme Court.
Our topic was Mortgage Fraud and loan modification schemes.
- 12/21/11 – We had
our first ever remote radio show in the lobby of the Plainfield IL Post Office. Our
guests today were from the U.S. Postal Service Central Illinois District; Patricia
Bridges, Manager Shipping and Mailing Solutions and Deana Carr, Manager Retail. We
discussed products and services of the postal service and ways to keep consumers
safe when mailing packages.
- 12/14/11 – Today's
guest was Special Agent in Charge Andy Traver, Chicago Division Federal Bureau of
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. We discussed the working relationship the Postal
Inspection Service has with the ATF.
- 12/07/11 – "Best
Of" Show which includes Stephanie Zimmermann, Bill Kurtis and a game of True or
- 11/30/11 – FBI
Chicago Division Special Agent in Charge, Rob Grant joined us today to discuss
- 11/23/11 – Today's
guest was Sun Times columnist Stephanie Zimmermann, who discussed her recent column
in which she scammed the scammer! Also joining the show were actors Leigh Hill and
Rob Pralgo. They are more commonly known as Inspector Michelle Niece and Inspector
Alan Goddard, from the Inspection Service Consumer Education DVD's.
- 11/16/11 – PayPal
Shopping Specialist, Claudia Lombana was our guest today. Claudia discussed ways
to keep your personal information safe while shopping on-line and on mobile devices.
She also talked about the "must have" gifts this year.
- 11/09/11 – Illinois
Secretary of State Jesse White joined us to discuss Affinity Fraud and Rules of the
- 11/02/11 – DuPage
County States Attorney, Bob Berlin was our guest today. We discussed White Collar
Crimes and how they are on the rise. We also talked about Attorney Berlin's first
year in office.
- 10/26/11 – Our
guest was Tanya Solov, Director of Illinois Securities Department. Our topic was
- 10/19/11 – The
legendary Bill Kurtis was our guest. We discussed his long and distinguished career
and the relationship that his shows have with the US Postal Inspection Service.
Postal Inspectors have been instrumental in convicting some of the criminals
highlighted on his American Greed Shows.
- 10/12/11 – Mike
Gordon, President of the Chicago Wolves Minor League Hockey Team was our guest today and the
topic was counterfeit tickets and how they affect everyone at the event.
- 10/05/11 – Guest:
Aurora IL. Mayor, Tom Weisner. Topic: Work at home scams
- 09/28/11 – Guest:
Brian Bell, Public Relations Supervisor for the Customs and Border Protection Agency.
Topic: Reshipping Scams and Counterfeit Merchandise
- 09/21/11 – Guest:
Healthcare Consumer Protection Coordinator, Erin Weir. Topic: Medicare Fraud
- 09/14/11 – Guest:
Chicago Sun Times Columnist "The Fixer", Stephanie Zimmermann. Topic: Stay on top
of your credit report. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com
get your free credit report from the top 3 companies.
- 09/07/11 – The guest
was Jody Weis, Deputy Director of the Chicago Crime Commission, also former
superintendent of the Chicago Police Department. We discussed the Chicago Crime
Commission and the 10 year anniversary of September 11th.
- 08/31/11 – Lisa
Misevicz, Public Relations Specialist for the FDA, was our guest today, and she sat
in for Scott McIntire, the Director for the FDA. We discussed on-line pharmacies
and how to tell if they are safe.
- 08/24/11 – Will
County States Attorney James Glasgow was the guest and the topic was Synthetic
Drugs. Synthetic Marijuana and Cocaine marketed as Incense and Bath Salts. What
are the warning signs and what are the dangers?
- 08/17/11 – Guest was
Jon Yates, Columnist for the Chicago Tribune. He writes the "What's Your Problem?"
column. The topic was Moving Company fraud and how to protect yourself.
- 08/10/11 – Consumer
Advocate, Janice Atsaves, President of the Chicago Memorial
Association, warns about Fraud in the Funeral Industry.
- 08/03/11 – DFFI
talks about Home Improvement Scams and Spring boarding.
Also, beware of Proctor and Gamble Sweepstake Scam.
- 07/27/11 – Inspector
In Charge Tom Brady discusses Internet Fraud and Identity
- 07/20/11 – Duane
Werth, President of Honor Flight Chicago discusses the HF program and impact it
has on the lives of World War II Veterans.
- 07/13/11 – Chicago
Tribune Reporter Jeff Coen discusses his coverage of the
second Rod Balgojevich trial and outcome.
- 07/06/11 – No
live show. Ran a "Best of DFFI".
- 06/29/11 – Susan
Grant, Director of Consumer Protection at the Consumer
Federation of America discusses commercial Identity Theft
- 06/22/11 – Tom
Brady discusses mortgage refinancing scams, seetheart scams,
and poetry scams.
- 06/15/11 – 2
Year Anniversary of "Don't Fall For It". Special guest
Stephanie Zimmermann aka "The Fixer" from the Chicago Sun-Times
discusses scams identified by readers of her regular newspaper
- 06/08/11 – US
Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois Steve Wigginton,
along with AUSA Bruce Reppert, discuss mass marketing fraud.
- 06/01/11 – US
Senator Dick Durbin discusses the dangers of unregulated
melatonin in food products and the Food and Safety Act
that he sponsored, which was recently signed into law by
- 05/25/11 – Tom
Agos, Gurnee Crime Prevention Bureau discusses police officer
recruitment and computer technology enforcement.
- 05/11/11 – Chicago
and Northern Illinois Better Business Bureau President
and CEO Steve Bernas discusses local debit card fraud,
malicious software scams and debt scams.
- 05/04/11 – City
of Chicago Treasurer Stephanie Neely discusses rapid tax
refund scams, student credit card debt and quick deed mortgage
- 04/27/11 – Chicago
Tribune Columnist Jon Yates discusses his regular consumer
safety column "What's Your Problem".
- 04/20/11 – Kane
County Sheriff Pat Perez discusses his Senior Safety Academy
and the new Kane County Jail.
- 04/13/11 – USPS
Area Vice President Jo Ann Feindt discusses the future
direction of the US Postal Service.
- 04/06/11 – Chicago
Sun-Times Court Reporter Natasha Korecki discusses her
coverage of the first trial of Rod Blagojevich, Former
Governor of Illinois, and his upcoming second trial.
- 03/30/11 – Al
Patton, Special Agent in Charge with the Chicago IRS, discusses
tax scams and ways that consumers can protect themselves
during the current tax season.
- 03/23/11 – Scott
McIntire, Director FDA, discusses various tainted food
and drug products and provides consumer safety information.
- 03/16/11 – Les
Rayburn, Director, High Noon Film, discusses the many short
films he has directed and produced featuring the US Postal
- 03/09/11 – Chicago
Sun-Times columnist, Stephanie Zimmermann, who write the
three times a week column "The Fixer" is the guest and
discusses National Consumer Protection Week.
- 03/02/11 – National
Consumer Protection Week Preview. Mike Gordon, President
of Business Operations with the Chicago Wolves and Postal
Inspector/Team Leader Tammy Kaiser, discuss the activities
for the Postal Inspection Service during NCPW March 6th
- March 12th.
- 02/23/11 – Modeling
scams. People have lost thousands of dollars to scammers
who say that they represent the modeling industry. This
week's program gives you all of the information that you
need to stay safe from these scams.
- 02/16/11 – Internet
Safety for Parents and Children. This program provides
tips on ensuring children are safe from on-line predators
and what every parent should know about protecting their
- 02/09/11 – Cook
County Sheriff Tom Dart guests on "Don't Fall For It" and
discusses various financial crimes. Valentine's Day scams
are also featured.
- 02/02/11 – No
main guest on the show. Topics included scams involving
tow trucks and automobile repair fraud.
- 01/26/11 – No
live show, best of "Don't Fall For It".
- 01/19/11 – Chicago
Police Sergeant Phil Cappatelli discusses debit card fraud,
encoding counterfeit credit cards, and bank examiner scams
targeting the elderly.
- 01/12/11 – Mitch
Lipka, Senior Programming Manager| Consumer Ally AOL Money|
WalletPop.com, was the main guest for the radio show. Mitch
discussed the top 5 frauds of 2010 as well as the start
of a national fraud database.
- 01/05/11 – Stephanie
Zimmerman, The Fixer/writer for the Chicago Sun-Times,
was the main guest on the show. The topic for the show
was "Resolutions for 2011 to not be a victim of fraud."
- 12/29/10 – No
main guest. The main topic discussed on the show was "Top
10 Scams of 2010."
- 12/22/10 – No
main guest. Topics discussed were "smishing", "holiday
and "windshield bandits."
- 12/15/10 – No
main guest. The main topic discussed on the show was automotive
- 12/08/10 – Heather
Heppner, Associate State Director - Communications AARP
Illinois, was the main guest on the show. The topic discussed
with Heppner was Medicaid fraud and new laws in 2011 related
- 12/01/10 – No
live show. "Best of Don't Fall for It 2010 edition".
- 11/24/10 – Vince
Gortner, Deputy Chief of Police for the City of Naperville
was the main guest for the show. Topics discussed with
Vince Gortner included social networking fraud and protecting
yourself from identity theft during the holiday season.
- 11/17/10 – FBI
Special Agent in Charge for the Chicago office, Robert
Grant was the guest on the show. Topics discussed with
Robert Grant were about the recent possible terrorist packages
from Yemen and other current topics and cases the FBI has
- 11/10/10 – Patrick
Fitzgerald, United States Attorney for the Northern District
of Illinois, was the main guest on the show. Topics discussed
with Patrick Fitzgerald include the trend of cases in the
Northern District of Illinois and "ponzi schemes".
- 11/03/10 – Anna
Huddleston-Aycock, Justice Programs Analyst with the Office
of Justice Coordination and President of the North American
Consumer Protection Investigators, was the main guest on
the show. The topic discussed with Anna Huddleston-Aycock
was the "Top Ten Consumer Complaints of 2009".
- 10/27/10 – No
live show. "Best of Don't Fall for It".
- 10/20/10 – Barry
Soltz, President of the Motorist Assurance Program, and
Stephanie Zimmerman, Chicago Sun-Times "The Fixer",
were the main guests on the show. The topic discussed with
Barry Soltz was an overview of the Motorist Assurance Program.
Topics discussed with Stephanie Zimmerman were the "$1
Million Dollar Savings Mark Reached by the Fixer" and
recent Fixer complaints/resolutions.
- 10/13/10 – Guy
Cottrell, Chief Postal Inspector of the United States Postal
Inspection Service, was the main guest on the show. Topics
discussed with Guy Cottrell were the mission of the United
States Postal Inspection Service and identity theft.
- 10/06/10 – Lisa
Madigan, Attorney General for the State of Illinois, was
the main guest on the show. Topics discussed with Lisa
Madigan were timeshare fraud, recent arrest of a sex offender
and senior fraud.
- 09/29/10 – David
Williams, Assistant State's Attorney with Cook County State's
Attorney's Office, was the main guest on the show. Topics
discussed with David Williams were organized retail crime
and identity theft.
- 09/22/10 – Tanya
Solov, Illinois Securities Department, was the main guest
on the show. Topics discussed with Tanya Solov were green
schemes and ponzi schemes.
- 09/15/10 – Thomas
Utz, SAC Department of Education OIG, was the main guest
on the show. Topics discussed with Thomas Utz were diploma
fraud and student debit card fraud.
- 09/08/10 – Steve
Bernas from the Better Business Bureau was the main guest
on the show. Topics discussed with Steve Bernas were Shredder
Day and recent complaints received by the BBB.
- 09/01/10 – No
live show. Best of "Don't Fall for It".
- 08/25/10 – CBP
Assistant Director of Field Operations for Border Security
Brian Humphrey was the main guest on the show. The topic
discussed with Brian Humphrey was counterfeit goods.
- 08/18/10 – US
Congressman Bill Foster was the main guest on the show.
The topic discussed with Congress Foster was Senior Citizen
- 08/11/10 – Nychelle
Fleming, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission was the
main guest on the show. The topics were product recalls,
contacting the Commission and other safety information.
- 08/04/10 – Eric
Weis, Kendall County State's Attorney, was the main guest
on the show. The topic discussed was charity and donation
- 07/28/10 – Robert
Berlin, Criminal Bureau Chief DuPage County, was the main
guest on the show. The topic discussed with Robert Berlin
was identity theft.
- 07/21/10 – Steve
Baker, Federal Trade Commission, was the main guest on
the show. The topic discussed with Steve Baker was telemarketing
fraud and scams.
- 07/14/10 – Illinois
Secretary of State Jessie White was the main guest on the
show. The topic discussed with Jessie White was various
programs with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- 07/07/10 – CBS
2 Chicago Investigative Reporter Pam Zeckman was the main
guest on the show. The topic discussed with Pam Zeckman
was fake check scams and other current fraud trends.
- 06/30/10 – Jack
Blakey, Cook County State's Attorney Office was the main
guest on the show. The topic discussed with Jack Blakey
was mortgage fraud.
- 06/23/10 – Ryan
Gruenenfelder, Representative of AARP was the main guest
on the show. The topic discussed with Ryan Gruenenfelder
was Consumer Protection Legislation.
- 06/16/10 – Cook
County Sheriff Tom Dart was the main guest on the show.
The topic discussed with Tom Dart was Senior Citizen Law
Enforcement Academy/Senior Citizen Fraud.
- 06/09/10 – Chicago
Police Sergeant Phil Cappitelli was the main guest on the
show. Topics discusses with Sgt. Cappitelli were Consumer
Fraud and the 1 Year Anniversary for the "Don't Fall
For It" radio show.
- 06/02/10 – Lisa
Madigan, Illinois Attorney General was the main guest on
the show. The topics discussed with Lisa Madigan were Senior
Resources, Home Mortgages & Current Events.
- 05/26/10 – United
States Secret Service Special Agent in Charge for Chicago
Field Office, Thomas Kelly was the main guest on the show.
The topic discussed with Thomas Kelly was the role of the
United States Secret Service, types of investigations and
- 05/19/10 – DFFI
discusses “The Fixer’s Frauds” with Stephanie
Zimmerman, “The Fixer” Chicago Sun-Times Columnist.
- 05/12/10 – DFFI
explains Telemarketing Fraud with Anna Huddleston-Aycock
of the National Association of Consumer Protection Investigators
and Susan Grant of the Consumer Federation of America.
- 05/05/10 – DFFI
covers Medicare and Medicaid Fraud with Brenda Delgado
of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- 04/28/10 – DFFI
warns about Alternative Investments with Tanya Solov, Illinois
Securities Department Director.
- 04/21/10 – DFFI
talks about Inheritance Fraud with Will County State’s
Attorney James Glasgow.
- 04/14/10 – DFFI
discusses Victim Rights with Frank Marion, USPIS Program
- 04/07/10 – DFFI
explains Ruse Burglaries and Scams with Will County Sheriff
- 03/31/10 – DFFI
covers Census 2010 with Trina Jenkins, Assistant Regional
Manager, Chicago Region, Census Bureau.
- 03/24/10 – DFFI
warns about Check Cashing Scams with Kendall County Sheriff
- 03/17/10 – DFFI
talks about Tax Scams with Special Agent in Charge Alvin
Patton of the Chicago Division of the IRS Criminal Investigations.
- 03/10/10 – DFFI
discusses National Consumer Protection Week with Steve
Bernas of the BBB, Steve Baker of the FTC and Peter Rendina
of the USPIS.
- 03/03/10 – DFFI
covers Ponzi Schemes with Merri Jo Gillette, Regional Director
of the Chicago Regional office of the SEC.
- 02/24/10 – DFFI
warns about Consumer Fraud Scams with Stephanie Zimmerman,
Chicago Sun-Times Columnist “The Fixer”.
- 02/17/10 – DFFI
talks about Medical Products Fraud with Gary Coody, US
FDA National Fraud Coordinator.
- 02/10/10 – DFFI
discusses Sweetheart Scams with real-life victim, Dr. Lilo
- 02/03/10 – DFFI
explains Confidence Crimes with Michael Deppe of Professionals
Against Confidence Crime.
- 01/27/10 – DFFI
warns about Credit Card Fraud with DuPage County State’s
Attorney Joe Birkett.
- 01/20/10 – DFFI
talks about Scams against Seniors with Heather Heppner
of the AARP of Illinois.
- 01/13/10 – DFFI
discusses Media and Law Enforcement working together with
CBS 2 Chicago Reporter Phil Rogers and Chicago Tribune
Reporter Jeff Coen.
- 01/06/10 – DFFI
warns about Phishing and Pharming with Kane County Sheriff